Air Fry Tandoori Chicken Lollipop
By Chef @RickMatharu
Spicy Tandoori Chicken fuses with a classic Fried Chicken in Chef Rick Matharu's Air Fry Tandoori Chicken Lollipops.
Chef Rick creates a bold marinade of aromatics, herbs and spices, giving the chicken its signature bright red colour. By placing the chicken drumsticks in an upright position in the Air Fry basket (into ‘Lollipops’), each side gets perfectly crispy with a light batter for an irresistible crunch.
By using the Air Fry function, only a touch of ghee is needed for full flavour and a typical fried chicken texture rather than litres of oil!
Total Servings: 5 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 Chicken Drumsticks, skin on
- 1 clove Garlic
- 2 small Red Chilli
- ½ inch Ginger, peeled
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- ½ whisked whole Egg
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon Tandoori Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Cilantro leaves, garnish
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind together the garlic, chilli, and ginger with the lemon juice into a paste.
- In a small bowl, combine together all of the spices, give them a mix, before adding into the mortar and pestle and grinding into the paste to make the marinade.
- To create the lollipop drumsticks, use a sharp knife to cut around the bone just below the drum of meat.
- Scrape down and off any excess meat and cartilage to create the stick of the lollipop. Push the meat forward into a tight ball to make the lollipop shape.
- To have the drumsticks stand up on their own, you may need to slightly trim the bottom of the ball of meat to create an even stand.
- In a large bowl, mix and marinate the meat with the spice paste.
- Add in the egg and half of the ghee.
- Dust over the all purpose flour and cornstarch onto the drumsticks and until they are well coated.
- Add in the remaining ghee and mix the chicken lollipops well.
- Stand the drumsticks in the Whirlpool® Air Fry Basket, ensuring they are not touching and are spread out well.
- Using the Whirlpool® Air Fry Mode, Air Fry at 400℉ for 25 minutes on the middle rack.
- Add a foil lined baking sheet underneath the Air Fry Basket for easier cleanup and to catch any drippings.
- Air Fry until the outside is crispy and the internal temperature is 165℉.
For an authentic kick, sprinkle the hot and freshly Air Fried Lollipops with chaat masala. Garnish with cilantro and serve alongside a mint chutney!