Appliance IQ: Laundry
Washer and Dryer Pedestals - What Are They?
The purpose of a laundry pedestal is to raise a front load washer or dryer off the ground and make it easier to load and unload. Depending on the model, laundry pedestals can also include a drawer for storing detergent and other laundry supplies.
There are many different types of laundry pedestals, some include built-in storage, some include a separate compartment with washing capability to handle smaller loads of laundry. Whirlpool laundry pedestals offer storage for your laundry supplies but do not currently offer a separate washing compartment.
What is the height of washer and dryer pedestals?
Pedestals for washers and dryers are typically 10 to 16 inches tall, or approximately 25 to 40 centimeters. The height of a pedestal can be affected by features like the brand, the storage drawer, or a separate washing function. Whirlpool has a laundry sizing guide that can help you find the right size washer, dryer, and pedestals for your laundry room.
Should pedestals and washers and dryers be the same brand?
It is also a good idea to match the brand of your laundry pedestals to the brand of your washing machine and dryer, the same as you would do with stackable appliances. It is true that some laundry pedestals are universal, but other features, such as the dimensions, colour, and finish, may differ from brand to brand.
Laundry pedestals: pros and cons
You may be wondering, are washer pedestals worth it?
Here are some pros and cons to consider.
- By elevating appliances off the ground, pedestals, make it easier to load and unload laundry by improving accessibility
- The ability to store more items
- Some pedestal models include washers which can wash small loads separately
- You don't need to worry about additional floor space
- Not suitable for top load washers, which can be harder to reach inside when on a washer pedestal
- An incremental investment to your laundry appliances.
What should I store in a laundry pedestal?
Storage drawers inside washers and dryers are typically used to store things such as:
- Detergents like Swash® Laundry Detergent
- Washing machine cleaners like affresh® tablets
- Scrub brushes
- Dryer sheets
- Dryer balls
Not all pedestals have a laundry drawer. Before you buy a pedestal, check to see if it has a pedestal drawer.
After reading this article, you may be considering purchasing a pedestal for your washer and dryer.